12.27.2006

Eragon Revisited

The next book in the queue has changed. I'm reading Eragon again before plunging into Eldest.

One of my friends at work has been reading these books lately, and after our conversation yesterday about the movie and the book and all the differences between the two, she informed me that yes, I must read the book again before starting Eldest. Apparently, I forgot lots of important things that were missing from the movie version.

So... looks like fantasy escapism for a while... I remember it taking forever to finish before, so maybe I can get through quicker this time around...

The Movie: Didn't love it. Didn't hate it either. I used to have an opinion, until I was informed just how much was really missing. (that's what happens when you see the movie a couple years after reading a 600+ page book :))

Perhaps my lack of extreme despising comes from (1) the fact that the book really is a blur to me, and (2) not expecting much as I went in. It was fun escapism, though I did get the sense of something being missing for most of the time. Maybe as I read the book I can draw more proper comparisons between the two.

So, yes... Lord of the Rings it's not, but don't expect everything to be a literary masterpiece (something I'm re-learning how to do, after all the "literary" stuff I had to read in college)

I do think it's interesting that all the reviews at imdb.com say pretty much the same thing:
Movie = awful
Rachel Weisz as Saphira = awesome (she really did bring CGI Saphira to life)


Okay... on to crack open that book before bedtime. :)

No comments: